15Malaysia is a project of 15 short films directed by 15 Malaysian directors and is a collaboration between the 15 film directors and WiMAX telecommunication company Packet One Networks Sdn Bhd. The mastermind behind 15Malaysia is singer/songwriter/actor Pete Teo.
The 15 films feature an interesting cast of actors, musicians, local celebrities and POLITICIANS. The politicians featured in some of the films are Health Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai, PAS spiritual leader Nik Aziz Nik Mat, Parti Keadilan Rakyat information chief Tian Chua, UMNO Youth Chief Khairy Jamaluddin and Dewan Negara Senator Datuk Zaid Ibrahim. The films deal with social-political issues ranging from race relations, bribery, corruption, Islamic Banking, party hopping, Mat Rempit, halal cooking, the state of Malaysian football, social apathy, freedom of expression and paedophilia.
The 15 films and their release dates:
(01) Potong Saga by Ho Yuhang (released on August 17 2009)
(02) Chocolate by the late Yasmin Ahmad (released on August 19 2009)
(03) The Tree by Amir Muhammad (released on August 21 2009)
(04) House by Linus Chung (released on August 24 2009)
(05) Halal by Liew Seng Tat (scheduled for release on August 26 2009)
(06) The Son by Desmong Ng ( scheduled for release on August 28 2009)
(07) Lumpur by Kamal Sabran (scheduled for release on August 31 2009)
(08) One Future by Tan Chiu Mui (scheduled for release on September 2 2009)
(09) Slovak Sling by Woo Ming Jin (scheduled for release on September 4 2009)
(10) Gerhana by James Lee (scheduled for release on September 7 2009)
(11) Meter by Benji & Bahir (scheduled forv release on September 9 2009)
(12) Duit Kecil by Johan Johan (Scheduled for release on September 11 2009)
(13) Healthy Paranoia by Khairil Bahar (scheduled for release on September 14 2009)
(14) Lollipop by Nam Ron (scheduled for release om September 15 2009)
(15) Rojak! by Suleiman Brothers (scheduled for release on September 16 2009)
Ho Yuhang’s Potong Saga is the first film to be released and has proven to be a big hit. It features Wee Meng Chee or better known as Namewee who gained enormous publicity and notoriety for his infamous Negarakuku song in 2007. This film offers a comical exaggeration of the Chinese community’s misguided assumptions about Islamic Banking. Do watch it and have a hearty laugh!
The final film “Rojak!” by the Suleiman Brothers is aptly scheduled to be released on September 16, the anniversary of the formation of Malaysia. To catch all the 15 films, take note of the release dates and watch them either on YouTube or the 15Malaysia website: